Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
If you are going to have a boss (or be a boss), make it a Superboss. Why? Because a Superboss leads individuals, teams, and organizations in ways that move the world.
Sydney Finkelstein, bestselling author of Super Bosses: How Exceptional Leaders Master the Flow of Talent, shares these insights in our interview. Sydney is Professor of Management and Faculty Director of the Tuck Executive Program at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth where he specializes in business leadership and strategy.
In this episode, we talk about:
- why working for a Superboss may be the best thing you ever do for your career
- what sets Superbosses apart when it comes to hiring
- why Superbosses dismiss textbook approaches to leadership
- how Superbosses leverage collaboration and competition in teams
- how losing incredible talent only strengthens Superbosses and their organizations
- what you can do right now to become a Superboss
- how Superbosses pursue deep passions outside of work
Sydney shares incredible stories from his research and captures how Superbosses often act in fascinating and counterintuitive ways.
Selected Links to Topics Mentioned
Superbosses: How Exceptional Leaders Master the Flow of Talent by Sydney Finkelstein
NFL, Bill Walsh, 49ers
Lorne Michaels and SNL, Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, Mike Myers
Norman Brinker and Chilis, Steak and Ale
Marc Benioff and Salesforce.com
George Lucas and Skywalker Ranch, Industrial Light and Magic
Alice Waters and Chez Panisse
Chase Coleman, III
General Electic (GE)
Harvard Business Review and Why Chief Human Resource Officers Make Great CEOs
Thomas Frist and HCA
If you enjoyed the podcast, please rate and review it on iTunes. For automatic delivery of new episodes, be sure to subscribe. Thanks for listening!
Thank you to Emmy-award-winning Creative Director Vanida Vae for designing the Curious Minds logo!