Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
We all want to do meaningful work that gives our lives purpose and lets us be creative. And yet, the very tools that help us stay organized and connected can cause the kind of distractions that erode time spent on meaningful work.
Jocelyn Glei, bestselling author and editor of Manage Your Day-to-Day, Founding Editor-in-Chief and Director of Behance’s 99U and the 99U Conference, talks about this and more in this episode. And she helps us rethink what we know about creativity, meaningful work, and happiness.
In this episode, we talk about:
- why creative work is so important
- how being busy can distract us from doing work that matters
- the creative rituals and routines that result in more meaningful work
- why we need to redesign and manage our relationship with technology
- the positive roles of productive procrastination and anxiety in creative, meaningful work
- short-term happiness versus long-term purpose and meaning
Jocelyn also gives us a glimpse into her upcoming book on the distractions of email. She is the author of two additional books, Make Your Mark and Maximize Your Potential.
Selected Links to Topics Mentioned
Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus and Sharpen Your Creative Mind by Jocelyn Glei
Make Your Mark by Jocelyn Glei
Maximize Your Potential by Jocelyn Glei
The Acceleration of Addictiveness by Paul Graham
Hooked by Nir Eyal
The Achievement Habit by Bernie Roth
Out of Sheer Rage by Geoff Dyer
The Gift by Lewis Hyde
The Concept of Anxiety by Soren Kierkegaard
If you enjoyed the podcast, please rate and review it on iTunes. For automatic delivery of new episodes, be sure to subscribe. Thanks for listening!
Thank you to Emmy-award-winning Creative Director Vanida Vae for designing the Curious Minds logo!