Nir Eyal is the bestselling author of Hooked and a contributing writer for Forbes, TechCrunch, and Psychology Today. An entrepreneur, educator, and speaker, Nir writes about innovations at the intersection of psychology, technology, and business.
In this interview, Nir shares the psychology behind why we get hooked by our devices and apps. He talks about how product designers use this knowledge to deliberately build certain features into their products, and he encourages us to use this knowledge to rethink our tech habits.
In this episode, you will learn:
- the psychology that informs our technology habits
- the four key elements that make a technology product habit-forming
- the connection between emotion and our habits with tech
- what makes certain tech products are more sticky than others
- tips for what to do when tech becomes too addictive
- how we can use this technology to form good habits
Nir also shares how what hooks us with tech can be used to improve the quality of our lives, especially when it comes to physical and mental health and wellness, and how he makes that the focus of his work today.
Links to Topics Discussed
Getting Unhooked by Nir Eyal